These red chief heirloom lentils have had their seed coats removed. The legumes hold their shape, if not overcooked, and are excellent in soups and purees. Combine with traditional Indian spices for a satisfying vegetarian meal.
- Surfas Product
- 16 oz / 454 g
Red Lentil Soup with Indian Spices
- 1 cup Petite Crimson lentils
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ tsp. chili powder or more to taste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 3 large fresh tomatoes, chopped or 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
- juice of 1 lemon
- Sort lentils, rinse in cool water and drain. In soup pot, heat oil and sauté onion for 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute. Add tomato paste, cumin, salt, pepper and chili powder and sauté 2 minutes longer.
- Add broth, 1½ cup water, lentils, carrots and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer, partially cover, and turn heat to medium-low. Simmer until lentils are soft, about 30-40 minutes, Taste and add salt as needed and stir in lemon juice. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil, if desired.