A pretty rose-colored legume, light red kidney has the same hearty flavor and dense meaty texture of its red cousin. Combine with pungent spices in Southwest dishes.
- Surfas Product
- 16 oz / 454 g
- 1 cup dried light red kidney beans
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 3 cans (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes,
- 1/2 lb. ground turkey meat, cooked in fry pan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sort beans and soak overnight in bowl using 3 times as much water as beans. Rinse beans with cold water and place in heavy saucepan, cover with two inches of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until tender, about 45 minutes. In soup pot, sauté onions, garlic and peppers in olive oil for 3 minutes. Add drained cooked kidney beans, chili powder, canned tomatoes, 3/4 cup water, cooked ground turkey, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, lower heat to simmer, and stir occasionally, uncovered for 1 hour.